Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wonder Women Wednesday #1

  
Ruth Asawa

On most Wednesdays I will take the time to share information about a female artist.  If you are asking yourself why, then please name ten female visual artists........I hope you will enjoy these musings and share in the conversation.
     Today's artist is Ruth Asawa, a wonderful American sculptor. She works mainly in wire and is nationally recognized.  Besides being an artist she is also an education and arts activist. 
     At 16, Ruth and her family were interned on the West Coast with other individuals of Japanese ancestry.  http://www.ruthasawa.com notes that the internment was Ruth's first step on a journey to a world of art that profoundly changed who she was and what she thought was possible in life. In 1994, when she was 68 years old, she reflected on the experience: "I hold no hostilities for what happened; I blame no one. Sometimes good comes through adversity. I would not be who I am today had it not been for the Internment, and I like who I am."



No comments:

Post a Comment